- Rolling at Jiu Jitsu regularly
- Kneeling improvements (knee pads at training)
- Slight tweak when rolling the other day. No pain, but very aware that I based too much on it
- Aching from lunges increasing general knee-ache
Week 21/22 goals analysis:
- ACTUALLY start taking measurements of leg
- Ditch body weight stuff and add real weight
Green= achieved Orange= Meh, kinda Red= Not achieved
Goals for week 23/24:
- See Physio
- Step up workouts and increase protein intake to encourage muscles growth
Exercises (per day):
- 10 x 90-degrees-squats
- 1 x 5min knee hangs
- 20 x step ups (on stairs)
- 15 mins on bike
- 3 x 10 lunges on right and 10 lunges on left
- 3 x 10 sec holds of L sit and tucked (on paralettes)
- 3 x 20 macebell swings left and right
- 3 x 10 slow controlled squats (ensuring equal weight distribution)
- 3 x 15 sec holds of heel to butt
- 3 x 15 sec kneeling stretches- push to sit on heels
Weeks 21 and 22 have shown further improvements again. Regaining the ability to kneel has been the priority over the past 2 weeks. When I attempt to sit on my heels, it becomes apparent that my knee is inhibiting it, but my legs/hips are. They’re really tight from not stretching as much as I used to, so I’ve incorporated daily stretches at the end of my workouts to loosen up the tightness. The difference in kneeling is noticeable after doing so. I can sink onto my heels much more comfortably, despite the noticeable difference in weight distribution (see below). Not comfortable enough to sit in someones guard just yet, but it’s a starting point!
Still issues with strength in the leg. It’s still a chicken leg. I haven’t measured it because I’ve had crazy busy weeks recently, but it has increased in size a tiny but. I can see muscle when I contract my quads now, then nothing used to happen a few months ago! Lunges are without a doubt the best exercise for them. There is a still a weight distribution issue I’m battling with when squatting though (see below). I do slow, controlled squats at the start of a workout, carefully watching in the mirror to correct myself when my weight shifts to my good side. Something I have to keep an eye on for sure. (yellow leg is the chicken leg, in case you couldn’t tell!)
Not much else to report really. So happy to be back training twice a week, despite knowing I’m only about half way through the recovery process. Still taking it steady, and playing a lot of open guard from my back stuff. Knee pads are a total lifesaver- definitely invest in some if you have an ACL replacement. Mine I bought off a team-mate for just £5 (ebay sell them) and they are like kneeling on cushions. Beautiful.
Over the next couple of weeks I’ll get myself to the Physio ( I keep saying this..) and see what he thinks I can do next. I think I need to eat more bacon to sort out this chicken leg.
To end, here’s my latest ink. Aidan at New Tribe in Brixham did an awesome job on them. Arte Suave. Gentle Art. Oss!